



Minutes of the Events Committee of Matlock Town Council held on Monday 04 November 2024 at 6.00pm in the Derwent Hall at the Imperial Rooms, Matlock.

Present: In the Chair: Cllr Pat Wildgoose (PW)

Committee members: Cllr Marilyn Franks (MF), Cllr Jason Knighton (JK), Cllr Ashley Orwin (AO), Cllr Sue Burfoot (SB), Cllr Steve Flitter *sub* (SF)

In attendance: Simon Hosmer (SH), Town Clerk
Victoria Brooke (VB), Events Co-ordinator

Meeting starts at 18:01

020/24 – APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

None received

021/24 – VARIATION OF ORDER OF BUSINESS AND DECLARATION OF MEMBERS INTERESTS

There were no variations to the order of business or declarations of members interests

022/24 – REQUEST FOR DISPENSATION

No requests for dispensation had been received

023/24 – PUBLIC PARTICIPATION: MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC

There are no members of the public present

024/24 – MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING: Monday 02 September 2024

SH: The last meeting minutes are not ready as yet. I apologise.

025/24 – EVENTS UPDATE

VB: Lamppost Poppies have gone up around the town and we have sorted the wreaths for RBL and the Town Council. Marilyn is going to a service on the 11th at County Hall. Jason will attend 3 on the Sunday.

SF: Do you have any spare?

VB: We don't as 2 have gone missing.

MF: When I took mine they were still there.

JK: Have they gone missing from the office?

VB: We don't know exactly what's happened.

SH: We think they have been given to someone but we don't know who. They will turn up at a remembrance I am sure but not sure who with.

SF: I still don't think people know the wreath situation that was decided by Matlock Town Council last year. I think we should review the position again.

PW: This council.

VB: We haven't done it for 2 or 3 years now.

MF: It's the additional work involved isn't it?

VB: it is. I end up phoning round to get orders and then inevitably chasing people who don't pay for their wreath. We are still a back-up if people get stuck.

MF: Soo how did 2 leave the office without you knowing?

SH: Neither Vicky nor I was in the office at the time. It's possible Mike or one of the caretakers has given them out in error. We need to investigate.

VB: The office has been manic the past few months as we are a person down. Everything is done for the remembrance service. The new MP is coming to the parade and service on the 10th. We may also have a purple poppy laid.

MF: What is the significance of that?

VB: They are laid for animals who died in the war.

SB: Will the poppies be tied to the railings?

VB: Ken Parker will be doing that. We have spare copies of the service sheets and they have been handed out to the relevant people.

JK: Will it be videoed?

SH: We did that last year.

JK: Could we do that again this year?

SH: Yes.

MF: What time does the parade start?

VB: We will form up at 2:45.

SF: What about wheelchair access?

VB: All arranged.

SF: Do you want the RBL gazebo? I am worried about the weights being stolen.

SH: Bring it down Steve and we will organise sand bags to weigh it down.

SF: On Thursday we have a festival of remembrance, the first one in Matlock. Should be good and tickets are still available. It's in the pavilion at Matlock Bath.

JK: I am going as mayor.

SH: We could share the post on our social media.

SF: Yes please.

PW: Who are Reel productions?

VB: They are 2 lads who do music videos as parody in the town. It's very funny and they promote businesses. They are local boys. In regards to the Christmas lights we have purchased more which will be for the big tree in the park. The District Council have added power to nearby so it'll be easier to power the lights. We are extending the lights on Bank road to Aspire Creative. Christmas trees are already selling. Once remembrance flags come down the trees will go up. We have a cherry picker ordered so the lights can go on top of the tree. The plan is to put the star up but that will depend on how the tree can support it and they won't know that until they get up there. The bandstand will be lit up too as we have purchased new lights for the roof and edges. We will also concentrate on Park head and have that decorated nicely too. We may need to buy new lights for the trees next year. In regards to the Christmas parade and switch on we have lots of stalls confirmed.

PW: Lions doing Santa's grotto have asked about lights?

VB: It's in hand. They are coming from the District Council. Golding grange are making decorations. We are having another food stall as the footfall will be higher and the café are not staying open. We

have a pizza place and Bowl who will be doing food. Mike is doing the entertainment. We already have bands and the red barrows are coming as last year for the park and for the parade. At 4:45 the parade will form up at Twiggs as last year with tractors and fire engines.

JK: Where are the bikers meeting up?

VB: The bikers need to start so if you could call them and let them know they need to be there before everyone else. They could meet at Sainsbury's and come round at the start. The road will then be closed behind them.

SH: A lot of the bikes were in danger of overheating as everyone in front of them was too slow so they are going first and can go faster.

VB: we are learning as we go along. The bikers have a Santa lined up. M-Vis signs go out on the 18th to say about traffic and road closure.

AO: Has anyone told the Matlock Mercury or Reflections magazine?

VB: Not as yet.

AO: I can do that.

VB: We will have posters going in all the shop windows.

MF: Could you send me the poster so I can share it?

VB: I will send it to all of you tomorrow. Jason can you let the Committee know about the model from the Matlock Bath illuminations?

JK: Sure, we have a model that has been donated of a spitfire which we can use at the parade. It's in storage at the moment so hopefully it's ok to use. Did it get measured to fit the trailer?

SH: Yeah and it doesn't fit and there is another issue which is that it is very tatty, looks awful. I am told it's falling apart. There are some photos we can share with you.

VB: why don't you have a look at the pictures before you decide what to do.

JK: We will need a bigger trailer if we are going to use it. If we put it on my van would that be a conflict of interest as it would be advertising my business.

MF: How would you see it if it was inside the van?

JK: One side is a curtain that is removable.

SH: I think that may be a conflict of interest and so I will have to check.

SF: At a carnival you see advertising. It's the perception of it.

JK: I thought the model looked fine when I saw it last Monday. It can be light up. When it's dark then it would be fine I think.

VB: The young farmers are having a meeting tomorrow and I will get a call tomorrow to confirm how many tractors we will have. I estimate 4 to 6 tractors. There are still a few details to iron out for the parade but that will all be done by the time it comes around. We have to do a risk assessment anyway.

MF: What happens if it's damp? Do we have gazebos?

VB: I don't think there is room though.

SH: The stalls will make it difficult.

PW: It's quite muddy.

JK: We said we would cordon off an area for wheelchair users.

VB: It's also difficult to know how many people will turn up and that is very much weather dependent. Jason will do a little speech and then a count down and switch on. Reel productions will be switching the lights on with Jason. The toilets will be open late, the DDDC ones.

MF: Do we pay for that?

VB: Yes it's around £60. We will look at having timers on the electric in the park next year which will mean we can switch them on via a phone app.

SF: the street lights in Hall Leys Park are not working at the moment. I think it's due to the work going on.

VB: Christmas day is going well. We have 28 confirmed guests so far.

PW: How many people can you have as a maximum?

VB: The setup is a bit different and we can have 48 this year plus I want to add a volunteer to each table who will be a buddy. We are trying to encourage people to talk to each other.

JK: How many volunteers do we have?

VB: We have more than enough and will turn some volunteers away. We will have a meeting with them all beforehand. Simon & Mike and their families are probably enough but we have loads of extras.

JK: Can I take someone with me to collect people when I do?

SH: We can make that happen.

VB: Yes of course, once this weekend is out of the way we will start to look at all that. M&S will contribute as I am sure will Sainsbury's. Gingers will provide the meat and Remarkable Hair will cook it again. We probably need to spend a little money on glasses. Prosecco and wine glasses. They could be used again and again at events rather than we keep using other peoples.

JK: We could borrow them from St Giles.

MF: I would say buy our own, a few dozen of each.

SH: We have the budget and we haven't spent any yet so we could do it if you wanted.

MF: What about storage?

SH: We would make room.

VB: We have a tree coming for the room, it's free. Ashley is coming to decorate it before the day. Nobody has said no to us yet once we tell them what they day is about.

AO: Clinton are supplying balloons free of charge.

VB: just going back to the parade for a moment, we may need a few volunteers to martial on the day.

SF: I will make myself available.

MF: As will I.

SF: Have you spoken to Alan from the Victorian Christmas market in regards to whether the tree being in the middle will affect him.

VB: I haven't as I can't see how it can affect what he is doing afterwards.

SF: You might want to make him aware of what we are doing in case.

VB: We will do out of courtesy.

JK: Can Councillors help going round the shops and the businesses to help persuade them into donations for Christmas.

VB: There is a letter which shows the different tiers of sponsorships that can be donated.

SF: We should be looking at going to the bigger chains rather than the individual small businesses in the Town. Some, like Boots won't do it.

JK: Card Factory might help, Dominoes, Costa?

VB: Costa already help us. So does Card Factory.

SH: MacDonald's is one we really need to ask.

JK: What about Stagecoach?

VB: I will add them to the list. We hope to do some bingo on Christmas day and we will have St Giles choir too. Also a cornet player and Ali from L&A vocals doing a sing along.

No resolution was made

026/24 – CHARITY BINGO NIGHT FEEDBACK

PW: The charity bingo night should be every quarter as it was such a success.

SB: I was going to say something similar as it was just such a good night.

AO: It was such a giggle. Everyone had a really good time.

SB: I have had a lot of feedback and the word of mouth will get round for next time and bring even more people.

MF: The old people's homes need to be told farther in advance.

VB: We need to better advertise.

JK: Quarterly is fine but shouldn't it be more varied.

MF: A Burns night one?

JK: Yes. What about a dance? A tea dance perhaps?

SF: Of an afternoon. Bails of straw in the hall and a barn dance would be popular.

JK: We could sell tickets and provide refreshments.

PW: What about Live & Local?

SH: We are waiting for their catalogue. Once we have it I will bring it to this Committee.

JK: And then we have Easter coming up. We will be putting on the event on similar lines as last year.

VB: We will do.

SF: There was a barn dance in the mid-nineties.

VB: There was a tea dance a couple of years ago when Paul Cruise was Mayor.

Proposed: Cllr Jason Knighton, seconded Cllr Sue Burfoot

Resolution: To hold a bingo night quarterly with the next one being on Valentine

Agreed unanimously

JK: I would like to say thank you to the ukulele group that came to the bingo night. How much did we make?

SH: Around £550.

027/24 – COUNCIL PUBLICITY: Website, social media, newsletters and news releases

Was not discussed any further

The meeting closed at 19:11



Simon Hosmer
Town Clerk

CHAIRMAN:

DATED: